Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Friday, February 18, 2011

At long last…


I spent most of this morning on the phone again, and finally talked to Mother’s Social Worker. She at least gave me some usable information. The poor horses have to wait until I have talked to Mother, the nurses, and Father before they get fed. Mother will be at the re-hab center for some time, which I’m sure they will be most grateful for.

Today was an absolutely beautiful day. I’m getting spoiled again. Marina as usual greeted me first while I checked to make sure that the pipe I had to repair was dry. Hey maybe this day will turn out all right after all. I got everyone fed and happy, and carted myself off to Capitan. I had a list in my head of the places I had to go, and the things I had to do. Ok so I missed the first two stops, I’ll get them on the way back. I got to the Mercantile, and found the coupling I needed. I also got extras of the ones we were running out of. Next on the list was dog food, can’t run out of that.

I finished my errands, forgetting at least one thing of course, and started on my pipe. I had talked to Rudy about fixing the coupling. He told me what to do, and what not to do. I go down to the barn with all my gear in hand. He said I should only have to dig up about a foot of piping to be able to get the coupling off. Yeah right, in your dreams. I dig up about five feet of the pipeline, and I can finally slip the pipe from the coupling. Now the coupling I bought was a little shorter, but I figured it would still work, all I have to do is to pull the coupling off the other end of the pipe. Easier said than done, finally I unscrew the entire piece from the brass fitting. Try as I might, I cannot get the coupling off. The only other choice I have is to do exactly what Rudy told me not to do.

I take the one piece of piping with the coupling still on, and glue the heck out of all the joints. There’s no way this sucker is going to leak if I can help it. I take the sandpaper and clean out the inside, and outside of what will be the new joint. Now I have to try to screw the piece back on. I had to dig out some more dirt from the bottom in order to screw the pipe back on. Don’t ask me there just wasn’t enough room. I prime, prime again, and then glue the two pieces back together, slipping the pipe into the coupling. Then I take my primer and glue and slop it all around the joint. “Du Piece de Resistance” is of course Vet wrap. I love my vet wrap, and use it for everything. I let it sit for a while then up to the pump house I go to turn the water back on. I wait a moment to ensure that the pump is working correctly, and go back down to the pipe to see if it leaks. I yell out to the kids that they have the best mom ever. There are no leaks, yes!

Unlike Rudy I clean everything up, burying the pipe again, putting my tools away, and gathering up whatever is around, to throw in my bag. It looks beatimus. I do believe I have become a master plumber. My timing is perfect as it is now time to feed everyone. Of course Marina thinks she should have been fed as soon as I came down to the barn to work on the pipe. This time I was blessed to have a beautiful day in which to work my magic. The skies were clear, the sun warm, and a gentle breeze kept me from becoming too hot. What more can one ask for? At one point Lance, who is going through a growing spurt, decided it was time to play, and raced around his paddock kicking up his heels, bucking, trotting, running, and sliding. He was having such fun I couldn’t help but stop and watch. He can be such a silly. Already you can see the Aulrab characteristics changing him from a gawky teen to a handsome young horse. There’s a lot of Sadie in him too. She adds refinement to all her foals, giving them a more majestic stance.

Now as I sit writing the wind is howling with a fierceness I have only seen here. The storm was supposed to hit this afternoon, but instead waited till all were safe, and cumphy in their stalls with full bellies. There will be at least one day of winds, maybe two, then a small respite before rains spoil the weekend. The winds here can last days, before they blow themselves out. I’m used to storms that come, and go all in the space of an afternoon, not storms that stay long after they have worn out their welcome.

I’m off to bed with the wind singing its war chant through the trees. I will post this in the morning since I can barely keep my eyes open, besides the orchids need their sleepy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment