Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Could it be I'm getting stronger...


Today was Marina’s day for riding. I was very tired this morning, and got a late start. I really didn’t feel like riding at all, but I started this, and I’m going to finish it. Marina of course was delighted. She hadn’t been ridden for a few days so she did several extra rounds around the arena. With Ibn I simply take him out of his stall, saddle him up, and go. With Marina that would be a death wish. I always throw her out into the arena so she can get some of her energies out before I get on her back. When she’s done she walks over to me, and then I saddle up. A foolish child I am not.

Since I don’t have to worry about her speed, I decided that I would increase the distance by one extra loop. Now that she knows that this is going to be a regular thing she’s not so antsy when we go out, something I am very grateful for. At the first little meadow I cued her for a trot, which she did for about two minutes before she went into a canter. It was a nice canter, and I discovered that I after riding her on a regular basis I am finally becoming used to her gait. Marina is the old fashioned Arabian, small, compact, and a powerhouse. She is short waisted, and has a sort of rocking horse movement. I’ve never been comfortable with her gait. Since we’ve been married I’ve really only ridden two horses for any length of time, Moraddinn, and Sadie. Moraddinn we traded for Sadie. Sadie I don’t ride anymore because when she gets too excited she goes down. Sherry said it sounded like she might have Equine Epilepsy. I simply don’t take a chance anymore.  Both horses are longer waisted. Ibn while short waisted has a good length of leg, giving him a totally different feel, which I have also found very comfortable. Marina is Rudy’s horse, and while I have ridden her this is the first time I have ridden her on a regular basis. Finally today I felt comfortable with her gait, both at the trot, and the canter.

The day was overcast from the beginning, and oddly very still.  I only wore a flannel shirt, and thought it might be a little too cool, but as it turned out it was perfect. The sun slowly broke through the clouds warming up the day. A gentle breeze came up so soft that it could barely be felt. It was the perfect combination of sun, and wind. All the worries of the day melted away, and there was only the land, the sun, the wind, Marina, and myself. I was no longer tired, no longer hurting, I was having a lovely time, and so was Marina.


We continued on our trail, and I let Marina canter a little more than I usually do. I was letting her pace herself. Marina is a very sensible mare. I don’t want to push her, but by the same token I don’t want her to get frustrated because she doesn’t have the freedom to let go when she wants. I won’t let her go into a full gallop, but a nice canter now, and then is enough for her to be able to feel as though this is as much for her as it is for me. If she can’t enjoy what’s she’s doing what’s the point? 

Towards the end I took her on the first loop in the opposite direction. This particular loop has two very steep hills. Sensibly she walked picking her footfalls carefully. The ridge we go over is extremely rocky, and rutted. The first time she went over it she took it at a canter, and while she never slipped it is wiser to walk than run. It also builds more muscle, and stamina at a walk. Finally we came to the final trek, and true to herself she just had to canter one more time. I was very impressed not only that she still had energy at the end, but also that I wasn’t as tired as I normally am. When I looked at the time I was even more impressed. I increased the distance, and she decreased her time. It had only taken 2 hrs, and 18 minutes for our ride. I unsaddled her, rinsed her off, and rubbed her down before I put her away. Since I still felt good, I swept out the barn. I used to sweep it out every day, but since the first bad storm we had I have had so much to do that by the time I’m done I don’t have the energy to do anything but take a nap. It was so nice to see a clean barn again.

I went up to the house fixed myself something to eat, and then took a short nap. I guess that this means that I am finally getting stronger. I get very frustrated because I continue to do more, but don’t seem to make any progress. Today I actually felt good after our ride. Now if I can only loose some of the fat that has accumulated around my middle I would be really happy. I know I am building muscle, but that “O” fat refuses to go away. I know I’m not twenty anymore, but give a person a break. The least I can get for all this work is to have at least half the body I used to have. I still have four months to go, maybe by then at least some of the fat will go away. One can always hope.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures!

    I stopped by to share my Stylish Blog Award with you and to let you know that I linked to your blog.

    ReplyDelete