Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

More of the same…


I got the rest of the property by the barn all mowed, of course it will need to be mowed again in a couple of days, but it all got done. I was going to mow around the house today, but between my eyes, and the rest of my body telling me not so fast, I decided to give it a rest. My idea about making some kind of contraption to rake the stalls with the gator is still in the design process. That one piece of iron I was thinking of using is way too long. I found some grating, but can’t quite figure out how to turn it into a rake. Oh how I wish I could weld. That’s what I get for having city folk for parents. They are the most wonderful parents in the world, just not country. My poor mother had apoplexy when Pena (white boxer) came in the house with muddy feet. Of course mine were just as muddy as Pena’s, but mother hadn’t noticed that yet. I told her we live on a ranch, and mud goes with the territory. I didn’t say just like manure, and any number of other (in her mind) unsanitary things. She shook her head, and replied that she could never live here. She may be 83, and barely able to move, but she has her standards. Lucky for me she has the beginning signs of dementia, and doesn’t remember everything. There are some advantages to not remembering everything so long as you remember all the important things. Like so many elderly people she has fallen a lot, and the many concussions, and brain surgeries has left its mark. It’s hard for her, but I can usually get her over the rough spots, like muddy floors.

Tomorrow is hay day, and we play musical horses. I’m thinking of moving Little Big Man into the big pasture with Saddie, Lizzie, and Storm. He’s too little to reach either mare so there’s no worry of him impregnating them, and I want him to learn herd etiquette. He knows all of them so he won’t be too intimidated. Of course Lizzie has already imprinted in his mind forever that he does as she says so he has a head start on the “mares rule” philosophy. Since being weaned, he has been stalled next to her, and when we had all the water problems this past winter he got a first hand a taste of her displeasure. Right now Lizzie is all glossy, and rounded so she should be fine in pasture. Saddie too has put on a good deal of weight so I think she will be fine as well. We’ll see what Rudy thinks of the idea.

Stormy had a bit of an upset stomach yesterday. When I fed the night before I noticed that he hadn’t finished his breakfast, and was a bit lethargic, just what I need, a sick horse. Don’t I get even a little break? Anyway I took his temperature, and it was perfect. Well there’s a little green in his stall thanks to the rain, and I think he probably ate something he shouldn’t have. I made him some beet pulp mash, and he even turned that down so I hand fed him a bit. I listened to his tummy on both sides, and heard little gurgles after he ate a little of the mash. What I do for these horses. Later while mowing I noticed him picking at his food. Evidently I got enough in him so things got moving again. When it came time for his evening meal the mash was all gone, and he was working on his hay. Needless to say he didn’t get more as he had more than enough from the previous skipped meals. This morning there was not a scrap of hay to be seen. Whatever it was he got over it. Thank you Lord, I can’t afford any more vet bills, as you know quite well.

Everything on he horse front was calm, and peaceful so I took the day off of manual labor. I’m still having muscle spasms, but what the hay tomorrow I should be better, and if not, oh well. Too bad so sad, my body will just have to get over it. Sunday Rudy, and I will separate the two little ones, and redo the coral panels. I also have to clean out the front stall yet still. I’m not sure when I will get that done, maybe tomorrow maybe not. In addition I have to tackle the arena. There are tall weeds that will have to be pulled so little horsies don’t eat mowed weeds, and get big tummy aches.  I waited too long as now the ground is hard again. I should have pulled them when it was raining. It’s been three days with no rain. I hope this isn’t the end of our summer storms. Elsewhere in NM it’s been raining, just not here. We need more rain, if anyone is listening hint, hint, but not all at once. As I told Rudy, I want it to rain for a few days, and then dry up, then a little more rain for another couple of days, and another dry spell. Is that too much to ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment