Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Monday, September 5, 2011

My how time flies…


I swear I don’t know where the time goes. It’s September already, and time to order more propane. We only get it once a year, but it’s a big chunk of money of which we are in short supply. We continue to have water issues, and part of the problem is we need an on off switch which will turn the pump off if it doesn’t have water to pump, another chunk of money we don’t have. The drought has made life pretty miserable, and I have some hard choices to make.

The lady who was interested in either Stormy or Star had her well go completely dry, so as she says “there goes my horse money”. It’s money we won’t get to possibly fix our water issues, and another mouth to continually feed. I have someone else interested in Stormy but I have to get some video of him first. Since I’m not sure how this week will play out I can’t really ask Sherry to come help take videos.

I went to Roswell Sunday, as Saturday was hay day. Mother was very disappointed that I didn’t bring her rocker, but it won’t fit in the Fiero, and as we all know the Jeep is too sick for such a long journey. Tomorrow I go to Roswell to bring both parents here so we can leave at 3:30 in the morning on Wednesday (ugh!) to go to Albuquerque. Hopefully everything will go smoothly, and father will be able to come home on Thursday so I can take them back to Roswell on Friday. That shoots this week out of the water.

I did get something accomplished today though. I finally tackled that former hay stall. It’s a wonder the horses didn’t all get sick there was so much mold under the pallets. I took three count them three gator loads of old hay, and dirt out of the stall. I got my monster duck tape and taped all the cut pipe edges, and contrived a way to keep a horse from hurting themselves on the cut pole sticking up out of the ground. Once everything dries out it will make a nice stall for someone if needed. I really need to clean out Marina’s stall and re-dig the channel for the water runoff from the barn roof. That’s why there was so much moisture in the stall. It just seeped through. I still need at least one or perhaps two new pallets for the other stall. I will also have to be careful when dumping buckets, or washing down a horse not to let water from the causeway to runoff into the stall where the hay is now.  I just have to be careful.

We really need to reduce our herd. The well we have obviously won’t support all our horses in a drought. Jeri I believe is sterile since he tried, and tried, but Sadie still isn’t pregnant.  I can’t afford to feed him if he’s no longer producing, at least not as things are now. I’ve started looking for rescue places to see if they will help me find a good retirement home for him, and Lizzie. I hate letting him go just because he can’t re-produce, but to save the rest some have to go. I’m also thinking of selling Lightning. I really hate letting her go. She’s a good mare, but as long as I have Sierra I can go forward with our half-Arabian breeding program. She’s going to be such an awesome mare, I just know it, she’s so striking, athletic, and sweet, what a combination, and color too. I had such big hopes for her. I’ll have to sell her for next to nothing since she’s not broke, but if I can get her home I can finish her training, I hope.

Ser-Haat I won’t put up for sale until I can get him over his issues. A friend told me of a trainer in Tule she has used. Next year Ser-Haat will be three, and old enough to put under saddle. It’s not just the body that has to mature, but the mind as well. He has come a long way, but he still has a long way to go. I also want to try to find a home for Sere where she will be bred. That’s going to be a hard one. Because of her bone cist, I can’t let her go to just anyone. I have to be sure that she will be taken care of appropriately. Because of her bone cist, I probably won’t be able to find anyone to take her. I just have to trust that someone up there has everything all planned out, and everyone will find their respective new homes, either that or we win the lottery.

Ser-Haat actually did pretty well today. I’m going to take a new approach. He wouldn’t let me put his halter on right away so we did the round the merry go round routine.  He finally let me put on his halter, and instead of just doing the walking etc., I got out the fly spray, sprayed him down, and the “Mane and tail”, and we had a nice grooming session. Then I took the halter off. He still doesn’t do that well. I’m hoping that if he connects grooming, which he loves with the halter, maybe it will become a fun thing instead of a lesson thing. I have at least six months to work with him before I send him to school.  Maybe by then I can lead him out of his stall even.

Ser-Haat wasn’t the only one who got attentions. After I finished with the stall, I cleaned up the barn a bit. Marina was stomping up a storm, so I finally went in to spray her with fly spray. Well I couldn’t stop there so Cupid, Star, Ser-Haat, and Aulina all got groomed. The rest need it as well especially Espree, but I ran out of “Mane and Tail” spray. It’s lousy stuff anyway. I need to order some “Cowboy Magic”. They don’t carry it at the Mercantile, and I don’t want to go all the way over to Harvey’s for it. It’s the best stuff I have ever used. I also like that it’s a gel. It doesn’t spray on, and evaporate. Of course the spray is a good lesson tool, but I’d still rather have the gel. It works much better.

After I finished with everyone, I had about an hour before it was time to feed so I laid down, and watched something on SciFy. It was so memorable I can’t remember what movie it was. All I wanted was to rest up a bit before I started my nightly routine. I fed, and everyone was happy to get their dindin. As long as their happy, I’m happy, then I discovered I had little to no water left. And it was such a nice day, oh well such is life. Now it's time to close all the windows, Bear got another skunk. Why can't he get it through his little brain that I don't like it when he kills a skunk. I can barely breath, I don't understand why he doesn't choke from the fumes. That also means that he'll stink for another two to three weeks depending on how badly he got sprayed. Oh how I hate skunks!


No comments:

Post a Comment