Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Crappy weather…


Well we’ve had some good days, and more not so good days (freezing cold, rain, snow, and of course lots of gale force winds). We do have water thanks to warmer weather, and I have figured out a way to cut bigger wood though I now sport a nice blister on my thumb. What fun. Since my coffers are now full, and I’m not hauling water I’ve actually had time to work some of the horses. April now has physical therapy for her hand twice a week (they think she has severe tendonitis). Great, but not being a person to let that stop her she has been able to help me out some.

We took Little Big Man out to the round pen for the first time. He wasn’t too sure about leaving his stall, but he is very trusting, and led beautifully. Then there was that big leather thing (saddle) next to the round pen. He was sure it was going to attack him, and cautiously went around it through the gate. He didn’t know what to make of the round pen. After a little encouragement he figured out that I wanted him to trot in a circle. I’m sure he was saying to himself, this is really stupid, but quickly learned that for whatever reason, that’s what I wanted him to do. He let out a few bucks (after all he had to have some fun) then was trotting, and cantering like a pro. He is going to be a joy to ride when he grows up. He has the smoothest gate, and movement like his dam. In a lot of ways I can’t wait till he grows up, and I can ride him. Then again he will only be a baby for a short while. His temperament is still so mellow it’s hard to believe he came out of Angel. At his age she was a little wild Indian, and full of it. As an adult she’s sweet, and very sensible, but you wouldn’t have known it then. He got lots of praises, and cuddles when we were done, and I hope to take him out regularly, not too much because he’s still a baby but a little like maybe once a week or so.

Next was Stormy. He has gotten very good with April letting her go right up to him to put on his halter. He’s also getting the idea that a halter means he gets to go out, and play, which is probably why he’s so willing. He did very well so we decided to try the saddle. First came the blanket (that was a trip), but after a few tries we were able to put it on, and off, under his belly, around his haunches, and around his chest. We walked with it on, and he decided that wasn’t so bad after all. It really didn’t hurt the least bit. He did so well we decided to get the saddle. Now that was a bit more for him to get his mind around. I gently put it on, and he shied but accepted it at least for a minute or two, then he bucked that thing right off. Well that wouldn’t do so we started all over again, first the blanket, then that scary saddle. It took a while but he finally decided that it was ok too, and we walked around with it on for a bit. I didn’t cinch it not wanting to ask too much of him. He did a good job, and was well praised for it.

All that was last week. Today was a nice day so after April, and I got hay we took Stormy out again. Both April, and I worked him, and April noticed that his feet were a mess. Winter is bad because there’s snow, then rain then hard dry footing so the horses that are stalled (at least some of them), don’t get their feet worm properly as they do in the summer. They get cracks, and chips, and look terrible. April asked if he would pick up his feet, and I told her I didn’t know. He did when he was a baby, but after his incident nothing was ever the same. He’s a sweet loving boy, but is very wary. She picked up his one front foot, then the other, and then went to his back. The one side she didn’t have too much trouble with, and after a couple of tries he picked it up just fine. Then she went to the other back leg, and that was a totally different story. He wasn’t about to let her pick that foot up. She went to his front, and he was ok, then the back, and he said no way Jose. After several attempts, much cooing, and soft talking he all of a sudden decided that we weren’t going to stop till he gave April his foot, and let her pick it up just fine. Man did he get the pets, and hugs, and praises then. When something clicks in their brain you reward them by not making them work any more, and making sure that they know they did good. He was so proud, he knew he really did something special. We took him back to his stall, gave him more praises, and lots of hugs. He was a very happy camper. Next time we will work on getting the saddle on again, but it has to be fun so I don’t ask too much of them all at once. He’s still very young, and I don’t want to sour him.

Angel came next. Since we are going to have to sell or lease most of our horses (all but four) I need to get as many of them under saddle as possible. Rudy started Angel way back when we lived in Auberry, but that was like seven years ago or so. We worked her in the round pen for a while first. It took a few times for her to remember what she was supposed to do, but she did just fine. I settled her down a bit by brushing out her mane & tail, which are both very short since she’s been in pasture, and then I started with her feet. She used to be fine, got regular trims etc., but after the first time we went to breed her we haven’t been able to touch her back feet. Up until we moved out here we always used a breeding hobble on the mares. Well we put them on her, and as soon as she started to walk she freaked big time. We gave up, and bred her without the hobbles, and she was so good about it that we haven’t used them since. The bad part was that she wouldn’t let anyone get near her back legs for anything.  Well when we put her in pasture she had some differences with a few other mares (she won), and scraped up her back leg. I had to put salve on it for a bit, and she decided that ok, I could touch her back legs. I still hadn’t tried picking them up, so today after I brushed her I picked up all four feet, and cleaned them without any trouble. I was very proud of her. Next came the saddle. She was being such a good girl I couldn’t just stop with the feet. April brought out the blanket, and after a few sniffs, she let her put it on. She was a little unsure of the saddle, but April does everything extra slow, and we got it on, and cinched up without too much trouble. I worked her for a bit with the saddle on, then tightened the cinch, and worked her a bit more. Next April worked her while I went to the barn to get something to drink. When I got back Angel was standing stock still with no one holding her, and I must say I was impressed she was so good. April wanted to show off so she got the lead rope back, and she got up, and down in the saddle. She didn’t put her leg over, but Angel stood like a champ with her getting up, and down. I was very proud. Angel got lots of praises, and when we put her back in pasture she got more cuddles.

All in all it was a very good day. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice again, so I want to work Sadie, Lizzie, and maybe Espree, and LBM in the round pen. Sadie we don’t ride anymore for two reasons, first she has a huge knot right below her ear, which is melanoma in her gland right where the bridle goes. Secondly when she gets over excited she will colic, and go down. Then I have to give her a shot and, walk her forever before she’s ok again. That being said that doesn’t mean she can’t get a work out since she’s now getting fat in all the wrong places if you know what I mean. Lizzie is just as bad, she has this huge hay belly, and her haunches are sunk in. I know it’s age (they’re both in their twenties), and lack of exercise so they are going to start being worked again. Lizzie when I get her in better shape is going to get a saddle on her so I can make sure she is ridable. It will be easier to find a home for her that way. I want to get Espree under saddle this summer, and LBM just needs a work out. If I still have time, and it stays nice I may ride Marina. I had both Marina, and Ibn in great shape last year at this time, and now Marina’s a bit too chunky, and Ibn looks like a skinny colt again. He’s rather narrow, and unless he’s worked regularly he gets too thin. Marina on the other hand is such a powerhouse that if she isn’t worked all that muscle turns to fat.

If we weren’t in such financial straights all this would be so much fun, but it’s hard when you are worrying all the time about whether or not you will have enough money just to feed everyone. Between April, and I we could really make things work if we had the financial wherewithal to do so. Oh well somehow we will manage, and if I can get more horses under saddle maybe I can even sell some. It’s pathetic what good horses are going for these days.  Stud fees are way down, and there are more horses out there under $1000 than you can shake a stick at, and they’re not all crap horses either. Unfortunately horses are a luxury item, and in these hard times people can’t afford to feed them.  I have faith though, and we will survive somehow, I’m not sure how, but that’s not my job. I take care of the little stuff, and God gets to take care of the big stuff. Granted it feels like He’s sloughing off, but maybe He has a big surprise waiting for us, the good kind that is (just in case You’re listening), I’ve had enough of the bad kind for a lifetime or two.

That’s about all I have for now. Winter is boring, because you spend most of your time inside doing wonderful things like cleaning house or whatever. Not my idea of fun. Of course I can always start working on the books so I can turn in our financials to the tax accountant, but who wants to do that? I know I have to get working on it, but since there are sunny days ahead we’ll leave that for another day, after all I still have a couple of months to get it all done. Good thing I’m not a procrastinator!

No comments:

Post a Comment