Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Stymied at every turn…


 
Do you ever get the feeling that all the cards are stacked against you? Last week was a total washout. We finally got some sunshine, and the mower died again. This time it was the lower deck belt. I called everywhere in town, and no one had one (of course). I ordered one from Western Auto (they just became a Husqverna dealer) but it’s going to take 4 – 5 business days. That means another week. Then I get a call from one of the places I called and unbeknownst to me they had ordered one. It came in Sat. Now I have two. I’m all excited because now I can mow down all the sunflowers, and
grasses that are getting much too high. The need for this is further emphasized by the fact that one day Bear was carrying on something fierce. I went outside to see if someone was coming up the drive, but there was no one. I went inside, and he started in again. I went out the back door to hear a rapid rattle. Great, there in the garage was a young rattler. I’m pretty sure that it was a Western Diamond Back Rattler, that’s mostly what I’ve seen up here. It was still very dark in color, and of course I completely forgot to take a picture of it just like I have forgotten to take pictures of all the other snakes we’ve seen. So here I am in the garage with a young rattler curled up ready to strike, and nothing to capture or kill it with. You see it’s all curled up behind the jeep next to the portable air compressor, which is in front of all the tools that are long enough to do me any good. Meanwhile April is down at her mothers, and I am patiently waiting for her to come back. It’s almost feeding time. I was able to grab a broom from the house just in case it decided to go somewhere, but that’s not really going to do me a lot of good. I can’t leave it so I wait, and wait for about half an hour. Finally April comes back, and I yell at her (she’s mostly deaf) to go down to the barn to get a certain shovel. I keep it there readily available should I find a rattler in the barn. Unfortunately this particular rattler decided to come visit at the house. Because of where the rattler is even with the shovel I have to bob him on the head first to make him move (without striking) then catch its head in just the right place so I can cut it off. Poor thing it was not a quick death, but I had no other option. I finally got its head in the right position where I could slice it with my knife, and still be protected from his fangs with the shovel. I have learned that one always carries a knife with you, and a very sharp knife at that. I hated killing him, but with my father around I can’t take the chance, and since I don’t have one of those snake crooks I dare not try to capture one to re-locate it. The constrictors are no problem I simply pick them up, and move them to a safer place. I was impressed however, that Bear didn’t try to attack it. He just barked to let me know it was there. Since it wasn’t moving the other dogs didn’t even take notice. Bear is definitely earning his keep these days.
 
This all happened on Friday so I told Father to be sure to watch where he is walking. I learned as a child to always walk with your head down watching what you might be stepping on. Not so my father who is not very observant to begin with. I also told him not to walk anywhere where the grasses were tall. Since we were going to town on Sat to pick up the mower belt I suggested that he get himself a pair of boots. I explained that Levi’s, and what serves as snow boots for him were not sufficient protection should he come across a rattler on one of his walks. At 89 my father is a very different man than he was while I was growing up. I suggest, he does. It’s very strange. Anyway on our last stop before going home we stopped at the boot store. I found a pair of work boots that will protect
him from any strikes. I don’t normally like the square toe, but it seems to suit him. This is his first pair of boots ever so I have no idea if they fit right or not. He’s walking on the treadmill to try to break them in, but since he doesn’t know how a boot is supposed to fit in the first place it makes it difficult. I’m going to put Neetsfoot on them tonight to soften the leather a bit. That should help. He feels very insecure walking, and he’s using muscles that he’s never used before. You have to remember he’s 89, a city boy, and not too steady on his feet to begin with. This is a whole new experience for him, which I think is good. He needs new experiences. He’s fighting dementia, and anything new keeps his brain active.
 
So no I haven’t ridden anyone, I haven’t mowed (too wet, and boggie), and I was out for a week with a terrible headache that refused to go away. I stopped drinking caffeine for about three months, and have had trouble with pain ever since. I’m drinking regular coffee now, and my pain level has dropped to a more reasonable level. Now if the rain ever stops long enough for me to do something maybe I can get something accomplished. I was able to get some more wood, but it has been too wet to cut. I really need to increase my woodpile.
 
There have been controlled burns all around us (there’s one going on now), and at first I was startled, then I remembered going into town that the sign was up for controlled burns Mon – Fri. After last year everyone around here is a little skittish whenever they see smoke myself included. In fact my neighbor called a little while ago asking if we were burning, and I told him no, but that they were doing controlled burns. He called to verify, and yes they are doing a burn. Of course it’s so wet that even if there were an uncontrolled fire it wouldn’t go far. Thank God for all the rain. I may not be able to do much, but we so need the rain. Our water table is up too. I haven’t had to get water since the monsoons started. All the rain also means the flies, and mosquitoes are out, and since I haven’t mowed the flies are thick, at least when it warms up. I’ve only seen one mosquito, but I won’t stop worrying until I can get some mowing done.
 
The rains have also cooled things down dramatically. I’ve been giving Jeri oats with his dinner to try to make sure he keeps warm. I’m also giving him some alfalfa, which he has actually been able to eat. It’s not very stemmy (thank you kindly), and is a hotter feed. He still hasn’t gained much weight, but he’s holding his own. Rudy keeps saying that for a 25-year-old stallion with no back molars he looks great. He certainly feels great especially when Penny goes into season. He’s Johnny on the spot showing off whenever a girl catches his eye, and if I take some of them out to the arena to play he really struts his stuff. Actually all the horses are looking pretty good with nice shiny coats (when they’re not full of mud). They need exercise, and it shows, but otherwise they look good. Sierra is going through another growing spurt, and is all skinny again. I swear it was just the other day when I thought he was getting a little chunky. Marina, and Penny got to go out, and play in the arena before it got too mucky. All signs of lameness are gone so once things dry up a bit I'll take Marina out again. Till then she'll have to suffer a while longer in her stall. I'm not taking any chances on her straining something again. I've switched to half, and half (alfalfa/grass) on all but the pasture horses, and all seem to be doing well. I have an idea we are in for a cold wet winter so all the weight I can put on them now will serve them once winter sets in.
 
NOAA says that we won’t have sunshine until Wed, and then again Sat, and Sun. I love the rain, but I do need a little sunshine (hint, hint) to at least get things in order again. Maybe tomorrow will be better. If I can get some mowing done, then maybe I can get a ride or two in. Who knows if it dries up enough I might even get some stalls cleaned!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment