Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Endurance Riding


photo by David

The Aulrab lines are known for their versatility. Aulrab had championships in Pleasure Driving, English Pleasure, Park, Ladies Side Saddle, and Costume.  He sired champions in Dressage, Endurance, Halter, and sires here and abroad. Because my husband and I have had to work full time while supporting our breeding program, we have not spent the time with Ibn that we should have. In addition, we have not found that one thing that he enjoys more than anything else. Since my husband is the trainer in the family, and he is on the road, I am a little stuck as to what to do with Ibn, besides being a gentleman stallion that is. I spoke to my friend and while there is much to be said for endurance riding she gave me a basic idea of what I need to do to prepare Ibn and Marina for the Ft. Stanton ride in July.

Since our first ride had gone rather well I was all excited about taking the two horses out for regular rides. Wouldn’t you know it, I came down with the stomach flu that brought my husband home for two days. I was not pleased, but what can you do. I had to take care of my honey after all.

The terrain here is rather rugged, and all hills and valleys. If that doesn’t get Ibn in shape, nothing will. Actually for not being in shape, the hour and a half ride we did last week, didn’t faze him in the least. What I’m hoping is that the hills will build up his shoulders and chest. The altitude (nearly 7,000’) has never bothered him, however he has a narrow frame and appears to be slight even though he’s not. His legs are strong and straight, and he has a back end to die for. My tush should be so nice. I have another thought as well. In addition to riding an hour or so every other day as recommended, I want to set up our jumps. I remember when I first saw Ibn at Sandy’s there was a fallen tree branch in the paddock area he was in, and he was running around having fun. He jumped over the branch (it was not small) as thought it was nothing. Small jumps should be good cross training for him. We’ll see if I remember anything Rudy taught me about jumping. At any rate it should be a nice break for him if we don’t do the same thing all the time. I thoroughly believe in cross training. It not only gives the body a break, but the mind as well for man and beast.


Marina is another thing altogether. When my friend said you will notice them getting stronger as you continue your regime, I about had a heart attack thinking of Marina getting stronger. Then she had to mention the thing about taking it long and slow. Right, Marina doing anything slow is an oxymoron. “Slow” simply is not in her vocabulary. Marina is the old style Arabian, small, compact and explosive. When they describe the Arabian warhorses riding a hundred miles, carrying their masters into battle, and back again, they were talking about Marina. I have never known a more powerful little mare. She loves doing anything and everything. It does no good to chase her in the arena before a ride, because she just simply does not tire. She’s more like a coiled spring that never gets unsprung.

There is one other thing to consider. I had thought I could have a friend of mine help me with the conditioning. She could ride Marina and I could ride Ibn. I remember once when we first moved here Rudy rode Marina, and I rode Ibn (or the other way around) on the trail. He doesn’t recall so maybe we rode the two girls. The problem is Marina hates boys unless she is in season. Ibn on the other hand, is totally, and categorically terrified of Marina. He wants to play nicey, nicey, and she wants to kill. When teasing, if she is not ready, he gets as far back in the corner of the teasing stall, as he can conceivably get. It is really quite comical. Here is this big macho stallion all excited until he sees who has come to visit.  He tentatively reaches out his nose to get a sniff, there’s a blood curdling scream, and Ibn retreats as far away from this small 14.3 hand mare as he possibly can. No one messes with Marina. He’s also totally in love with her and ever hopeful. On the other hand when she is ready, she can’t get there soon enough.


Both horses are well trained to behave themselves under saddle so I’m not that worried. It will just be interesting. Once I actually start working with both horses I will give updates. I’d also like to work Jeri, he’s our old man. Sandy told me his previous owner rode him bareback in the fields so I know he’s broke to ride. When we first got him Rudy got on his back and ended up with a hernia. I rode him that one time and he was fine for me, but I haven’t ridden him since. He’s a mare form of Marina without her temperament, small, compact and explosive. He doesn’t understand that he’s over 21 and should be slowing down. I also love the idea of an old man competing against younger horses and putting them to shame, and I know he can do it. He’s a phenomenal horse. He’s only ever been ridden by one woman save Rudy and I that one time, so it could be tricky. Still I’d like to try. If only I were 30 years younger, I would have the energy to be able to do all the things I want to do. Still and all I will do what I can, and we will see what comes of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment