Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Warren Park Stud

Aulrab & Sandy Warren


By the time we reached Auberry, CA in April 2001, we had bred Marina and were expecting our first foal in Feb 2002. At that time we had Sarashea, Marina, and Moraddin.  In looking for a place to live Rudy had noticed a farm called Warren Park Stud. Unbeknownst to me he went looking for another mare for us. He came home with a video of a young flaxen chestnut stallion. I was in love. Remember at this time I knew nothing about breeding, bloodlines, or even that there were specific strains of Arabians. I only knew that this was a horse of extreme beauty. His bloodlines were unique, his Sire being Aulrab (CMK) and his dam Happey Pico a Hearst bred mare, and we had to have him if we were going to breed horses.

Warren Park Stud is the work of one woman, Sandy Warren. For over forty yeas she has been breeding CMK (Crabbet, Maynesburough, Kellogg) Arabians. Ibn Aulrab (Aulrab x Happey Pico) was a young stallion bred by her. The owner wanted to sell him, and of course she had a video of him and his first foal. Ibn had a mini horse babysitter. Earl, his owner didn’t realize that a colt less than two could father a foal and the surprise was a tiny black half-Arab with phenomenal movement. Of course we went to see him and neither one of us could say no to the other. Ibn became our first stallion.

Through Ibn we began a relationship with Dick and Sandy that is as close today ans it was then. It was Sandy who opened my eyes to the Arabian horse world of breeding. She taught me about bloodlines, history, correct conformation, and what to breed for, and look for. She is the most remarkable woman I have ever met. When we first met her, she had just gotten a halo removed. The year before she had broken her back and neck in three places in an accident during a thunderstorm. She had gone out to check on one of her stallions and found that he had gotten his foot stuck in the fence. Dick (her husband) came out with a flashlight, which startled the stallion, who then accidentally threw her against a tree. How she survived without surgery and without being paralyzed I will never understand.

Rudy and I became fast friends with both Dick, and Sandy. Rudy helped out when he could with the foals as Sandy had to be very careful, and Dick isn’t a horse person. At the time it was just he and Sandy at the farm. The farm was on the opposite side of Fresno so I couldn’t get out there as often as I wanted, but I always brought my camera. I would take pics of the horses, and then go and sit for hours while she told me stories.  She knew and rode some of the greats in the Arabian world. She has bred horses that now carry her bloodlines in South Africa, Canada, and Australia. She never received the notoriety of the Varian horses or even the trendy horses, but her breeding consistently produces horses of extreme quality. I can always spot an Aulrab descendent. They are nearly always chestnut with a lot of white. Some can or are double registered as Arabians and as Paints carrying the Sabino gene.

Today Sandy has many health issues. She has survived pneumonia numerous times, Leukemia, Lymphatic cancer, and of course a broken back. Because of weak lungs (she had asthma and never smoked), she is on oxygen 24/7. She has pneumonia again and now she is getting a monitor to determine what her heart is doing. It seems that there is some kind of blockage in her heart valve. How she manages to beat the odds is beyond me, but I for one hope she keeps doing it.

Dick and Sandy have help now and the farm is doing well, not so much monetarily, but with loads of quality. There are still a couple of her stallions I want to breed to. I plan to carry on in my own small way as much of her breeding as I can. We have three of her horses. Angel, Sierra’s dam who carries within her the bloodlines each of Sandy’s foundation stallions, is one of them. We also own Jeri who is a Lewisfield Magic son, and an Aulrab grandson. I plan to add an offspring of GA Topaz and Mystic Aulrab thru AI. This will not be a full representation of her breeding, but we are still a small breeder, and we have too many mouths to feed, and keep as it is. Of the 15 horses we now have, only four are planned for sale. Hopefully one day we will have a farm that is equal in quality to that of Warren Park Stud. We only have thirty more years to go.

Aulrab

No comments:

Post a Comment