Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Here we go again!




We were blessed with a few fine days of warm weather. Coincidently, Rudy also got a load coming through Capitan again. I had him home for one more night. Now Rudy, and I are like two peas in a pod, howsoever, when it comes to giving directions, I do not necessarily understand what he is trying to tell me. So it was with the generator. No, it was not missing after all. In point of fact, there was nothing at all wrong with the generator except for the fact that towards the wall was full on, not off for the choke, and fuel. Oh well, at least now I know which direction to pull all the levers. While he was here he also managed to get Ser-Haats & Ibn’s waterier working better. Now I get to go on line, and try to find the valve I need to properly fix it. That’s the easy part, the fixing is the hard part. Luckily I don’t have to cross that bridge quite yet.

Now I don’t like to have a list of honey do’s when Rudy comes home because what little time we have together is so precious, however I did have a couple of quick ones for him this time. I couldn’t get the miter saw to move so I could make frames. I also needed to know which tool to use to cut a ledge for the frame. Lastly, I needed to know which saw to use to cut wood now that he brought the converter home. The miter saw took a bit of muscle and a lot of WD-40. I tried, but even he had to use a bit of brawn to get all the dirt and debris out so it would move again. He showed me what to use (please don’t ask me what it’s called) to cut a square edge to put the painting in the frame, and what to use for cutting wood. I’m sorry, I have put on a lot of muscle since I met Rudy, but there’s no way on God’s green earth that I can manage his chain saw. Besides, Lord knows if it will even work. He hasn’t used it since we moved here.

That took care of the honey do’s, and thanks to the warmer weather, the water line to the barn thawed. What fun that revealed yet another water leak. God is so good to me for providing all these wonderful opportunities to learn more skills. I convinced Rudy not to worry about it, so instead he set up the TV Mom & Dad sent him for Christmas in the truck. It came just before he came home.

Back to the barn water main. After my chores, I went down to the Mercantile to get the valve I needed to add to the maze of pipes that go from the main line to the barn, and the pasture. I had plenty of connectors, primer, glue, and pipe. Oh, and I forgot (halfway home of course) some insulation foam to help keep the pipes from freezing again. By this time I’m a mite tired having forgotten to take my supplements that off set the medication that puts me to sleep. Ever tried running a ranch when you’re sleeping all the time? It’s not easy let me tell you. I have plenty of time to fix the line, and then run into Ruidoso to get the wood pellets that Wal-Mart owes me so I won’t freeze. I lay down for just a moment or two, and an hour and a half later or so, I wake up, realize what time it is, gather all my paraphernalia, and head to the barn. Did I also mention that God gives me plenty of opportunities to learn humility?

I put in the valve, which leaks, and tear apart my jimmy rigging from the last time the pipe leaked. Well that won’t work. First of all I put the valve in the wrong place, humility lesson number one. Then I realize that there is no way I can replace the T that is cracked, and repair the pipe the way I envisioned. This is going to take more than the allotted 20 minutes it was going to take me, humility lesson number two. I turn on the water and find that all the joints leak, and the whole thing has to be re-designed. I jimmy rig everything again using lots of glue, and vet wrap. Oh didn’t you know that vet wrap is a Plummer’s best friend? Well it’s this Plummer’s best friend, in fact since I bought like six rolls, I only have one left, and none of it was used on the horses. Now not only do I have to buy two new valves, make sure I have enough connectors, T’s, and corner connectors, I also have to buy more vet wrap, glue, and no I don’t have enough time to go to Wal-Mart to get my wood pellets. I guess I get to spend the evening in the computer room where we have a wood stove for heat. Either that or freeze. Now you know why I wanted the converter so I could cut wood using the gator for electricity. The computer room, was an add on with no heat. Remember this is rural America. I also have to remember to get new blades for the saw and hack saw.

I was doing so well with everything, and I was so proud of myself for figuring all these things out by myself. I guess I was due to screw up royally. I did get things going enough to water everyone, which buys me enough time to start this project over again. Tomorrow is supposed to be another beautiful day before another storm works it’s way through to our neighborhood, and if I’m really lucky I will have time to play with the babies. I haven’t played with them for it seems like forever now, and they are acting standoffish. Sierra is particularly upset with me since I let those terrible people do all those bad things to him. I needed to change his halter, and lets say we had a difference of opinion as to who was in charge. He wanted nothing to do with me even going near his head. I can’t really blame him, I remember how I felt when my doctor told me something I didn’t like. It was not pretty, and I was not nice. Round, and round in circles we went, he even reared on me (for the last time I might add, he didn’t like the repercussions of that at all). Finally I had to resort to the, behave or your dead meat voice, and the halter got changed. He then got plenty of loves, but he still hasn’t quite forgiven me. Oh the trials and tribulations of being a baby, life is so hard.

Thus ends my day. I have talked to Rudy, answered my emails, checked my bill list (forgot to pay another bill), put the inside dogs to bed, and am ready to put yet another wasted day behind me. Tomorrow is another day, and another opportunity to start over. No matter how badly I screw up I always have tomorrow. Not a bad deal if you ask me. One of these days I may even get to the house, but there’s no rush on that. There are far more important things to take care of first. I have babies to raise, lessons to teach, friends to talk to, paintings to paint, trails to ride, pictures to take, and horses to train. I have a thousand things in my head that I want to do, and every day I have another day to do them. What more could one ask of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment