Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Star Magic Jeriel


Jeri is our Senior Stallion by virtue of age. About 2003 Jeri, who was sold in vitro by Sandy Warren, came back to Warren Park Stud. His owner had health issues, and when she came to the point where she was unable to ride, and care for him any longer, she gave him back to Sandy. The moment I laid eyes on him, I was in love. We already had one stallion (Ibn) but there was something about Jeri that spoke to me. He had some offspring, but was mainly a companion to his owner. I took many pictures of him and his first colt from Sandy’s farm. I always planned on breeding him to one of our mares, but as it would happen, we moved before I was able to do so. Still I had hopes of someday breeding one of our mares to him.


About a year later when I was talking to Sandy she informed me that they decided to sell one of their stallions, Jeri. It saddened me because now my chance would be gone for good. Rudy and I talked about it, and I thought that was one more idea shot down. The next thing I know, Rudy is calling Sandy to find out how much she wants for Jeri. We were still struggling, but with tax money we could just buy him. I was ecstatic. One of the things that always gets us in trouble is that when there is something I want Rudy finds a way to get it. We are poor but we have a beautiful herd of horses.

 When he got here Jeri’s mane & tail were matted, and his coat was extremely fine (something you look for in an Arabian, but not at 7,000’). His feet were newly trimmed, and I swear he was just as excited to be here as we were to have him. We let him settle in before we started messing with him, but as soon as I could, I got my mane, and tail brush out. When he was done he was absolutely stunning in my eyes. I wanted to start riding him, and I did once, but as usual with only weekends to be with the horses that never happened again. He froze his first winter here, having a winter coat more similar to our horse’s summer coat. I felt so bad for him, and wouldn’t you know it, we had lots of snow that year too.


We bred him first with Sadie. Sadie is as refined as Jeri is. The resulting colt would be small, but we were hoping that some of those tall Aulrab genes would kick in. That didn’t exactly happen, but what I did notice is that when bred with a hot mare, Jeri seems to produce a quieter, and softer colt. This is good news as I have three mares that are more than a little hot. They have mellowed as they have matured, still they are not as mellow as some of our other mares. Two of them are of substantial size so if he can manage it (I’m sure he will find a way), I want to breed him to at least one of them this spring.


Besides being an Aulrab grandson with a line to Bint Lebnaniah of Pico, Jeri has an illustrious sire, Lewisfield Magic+/, son of Indian Magic imported from Crabbet Stud in England. He is 85.61% Crabbet/Blunt, and 90.48% GSB (including Crabbet). He is by far the highest percentage Crabbet horse we own. Where Ibn exudes power, and athleticism, Jeri is all grace and beauty. At nearly 23 whenever we have visitors, they are amazed at both his age, and his beauty.  Jeri neither looks nor acts his age especially when it comes to the girls. Maybe this year I’ll be able to ride him some. Lord only knows what this year will bring, and He isn’t telling anyone least of all me. He so loves His little surprises. Hopefully (for a change) they will be good ones this year. I don’t think we can take any more like the ones from last year.  Who knows maybe this year He will include a miracle or two. We could surely use some, so here’s to hope.
photo by Linda Sherrill

No comments:

Post a Comment