Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

And now New Mexico too…


The moon is almost full now, and once again it is bright orange. I’ve tried to get photos, only my camera just isn’t sophisticated enough, or new enough. There are very few stars out that you can see, partially because the moon sheds so much light, but also because the sky is blotted out by smoke. The winds came up again today, and the skies were hazy. The smoke makes for beautiful sunsets, and sunrises, but the acrid smell in the air is a dead give away that something is terribly, terribly wrong.

The firefighters have worked very hard to make sure that the villages of Luna, and Reserve will be safe from the fires. They have done a lot of back burning, and the fire is 10% contained the last I heard. Now there are fires, in Carlsbad Caverns National Forest, another up towards north western NM (near Grants I believe), and a large fire in Raton, that has crossed the Colorado border. It has already scorched over 6,000 acres in only a couple of days. They showed a time lapse, and it was amazing to see the fire line move across the ridge in a day. High temps, low humidity’s, and wind are all fueling the fires.

The next couple of days should be clear, and unfortunately, very warm. First thing in the morning is the best time of day. The air is cool, with a gentle breeze. The crickets, mourning doves, and numerous other birds are singing their praises. It is a peaceful time, a time of reflection, a time full of promise. Lately I have been luxuriating a bit too much in the moment as it were. I need to get up earlier, so I can get everyone fed, and watered before the heat of the day begins. I want to continue riding, and get Lightning, and Storm started in the round pen. I rode both Ibn, and Marina on Friday, and Saturday. They both did fine, but the heat got to me a bit I think. I have also been teasing both Sadie, and Lizzie. I could have sworn that Lizzie was in, but other than a touching of noses, she could have cared less that Jeri, was hot to trot. Sadie went out on Thursday, so I’ll start teasing her again on the 23rd. When she comes back in I’ll breed her to Jeri. If Lizzie ever comes in I’ll breed her to Ibn. Each boy gets onc girl. If I can’t get Lizzie to come in, maybe I’ll breed Espree to Ibn. I want two foals next year. That way the babies will have someone their size to play with. I don’t like doing singles, they need a best bud to hang with.

I did manage to get a bit of video of Ibn. I got three really good bucks out of him too, which is highly unusual. If it’s too much work he simply doesn’t bother. I have to admit he looks really good. All this riding has gotten him in great shape. Getting video by myself is a bit of a challenge though, so I didn’t get much. I think I got enough to do a short video. Love that slow mo don’t you know, you can make a minute, and a half into five minutes if you want. Most of what I got was too jiggly. You try to keep a camera steady, while you are hollering, making funky noises, rattling a plastic bottle of rocks, and yelling at the dogs all at the same time. The fact that I got anything at all to me is pretty amazing.

I got video of Sadie too. I don’t know if I will use it or not, as she was quite dirty, and is still a bit too thin. I’m seriously thinking of working her in the round pen to get some muscle on her. I get very nervous doing that since she has this problem of colicing whenever she gets over excited. She’s always been a slim build, but with age, and kids she’s really hard to keep weight on in spite of the fact that I give her more than anyone else. She doesn’t like working in the round pen, but if it will get her in better shape too bad so sad, life is tough. Even underweight she’s still the most elegant mare we have. I love watching her move. That’s what she gave to Lance that made him special. He had the same elegance. Jazzy has it too, and I’m sure Star does as well. I can’t wait to see how she has grown.

If I can get some muscle on Sadie’s chest, and haunch, she will look fantastic. Right now she looks like she has a big belly with ribs showing. I know it’s mostly age, but I still feel bad that she is so skinny. Trust me it’s not for lack of groceries. She gets more hay than anyone else, plus beet pulp, rice bran, and senior. Where it goes I have no clue, but it’s not on the hips. I just wish I had her problem. When I was young I could eat whatever, and never keep the weight on, now, well let’s say there’s a bit more of me than I like. Lizzie, a year older than Sadie, tends to be on the thin side (for a TB that is), only I’ve got her at a good weight right now. I have to work her too. She has the weight, just not the muscle. Oh the trials, and tribulations of keeping everyone fit, and looking good. One of these days maybe we will get well enough known that we can get a little help, and I won’t stress so much. Just in case your listening God that would really be nice. No pressure, it would just be helpful don’t you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment