Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Men...


That’s what’s Sadie is saying I’m sure. This is our first time pasture breeding. In the past we have either bred in-hand or by AI, so this has been a new experience. I’m sure breeders who have done this for years would say “Duh!”, but until you have an experience you just don’t know. For safety’s sake I had my girlfriend lend a hand. I put Jeri in the stall I made off the arena in the morning. Poor thing he was so excited when I took him out of his stall, prancing all the way to the back of the arena, and then I just left him there. How dare I leave him with no girls anywhere around? He was not pleased. My girlfriend came over about three, way to long a wait as far as Jeri was concerned. I went down to Jeri, and she brought Sadie into the arena. On the count of three, ok so I just said “ready”, she unhooked Sadie, and I let Jeri out of his prison. As I assumed, he was out like a bolt, and stopped short right in front of her. They had a little tête-à-tête, and then he made his move. Here’s where the “Duh” comes in. He mounted her on the side, which at the time I thought was a bit stupid, and I told him as much. When she didn’t move, he swung around to the back, and did his dastardly duty. Later as I thought about it, it occurred to me that it just might not be so dumb. If she were going to kick (fat chance of that) by going to her side first, he wouldn’t get hurt. Maybe he wasn’t so dumb after all. 

When he was done Jeri slipped off her, but Sadie was ready to go again as soon as he finished (remember she’s our hussy).  He rested for a bit, and then he was good to go again. We left them alone (they were so cute), and when I went back to feed Jeri was obviously puttered, and Sadie was still waiting for more. She likes sex, I mean she really likes sex. This morning I took Lizzie out to see if she was in, and there was Jeri, ready, and waiting. Well I took Lizzie to see Ibn first. They touched noses, and then she walked away. I brought her around again, and she struck out. Ok back to her stall she goes only since we go right by the arena, I let her touch noses with Jeri. He was soooo excited. She wasn’t much interested in breeding, but she lingered by Jeri all the way back along the arena. I really think she just doesn’t like Ibn, but back in her stall she stands, and stares at him as though she’s interested. I’ll keep teasing her, and as soon as she comes in, I’ll put her in with Jeri since she seems to truly like him better. He on the other hand is totally disinterested in Sadie now that he’s sure that he has her knocked up. He spends all his time staring at the other girls. Typical man, love them, and leave them. I have to admit though that he has been a true gentleman when breeding. Unlike in-hand where he can’t wait to jump the mare, he took time to do a little floor play first. Then afterwards (until he lost interest) he showed a real tenderness, and a bit of strutting once he had his way with her. It was funny, there he was prancing around the arena, saying I’m so hot, and Sadie was running after him. Yes I know that’s a bit backwards, but then again these are our horses after all, and one can’t expect normal behavior. If I can get Lizzie bred to him as well (I’m still not convinced he can reach her), I will be a happy camper. If Jeri doesn’t settle Lizzie I will try breeding her to Ibn. If she tries to kick him I know Ibn will get out of the way. He’s done pasture breeding before, and knows quite well what can happen if the mare doesn’t like his advances.

On the fire front, we made the national news again, and we’re even going to be on GMA tomorrow morning. Saturday a fire started near Los Alamos (home of the first atomic bomb testing). Saturday night it was at about 3,800 acres, but by morning it went to 43,000 acres. Today it’s over 50,000 acres, and now has gotten within 4 miles of the city. The entire town, and the Los Alamos Labs have all been evacuated. Evidently in 2000 they had a fire, and so were much more prepared this time making for a smooth evacuation. As soon as people saw the smoke they started packing. When the mandate came they left with little prompting. The Labs also prepared for another fire by thinning the forest around the Labs, and clearing land. Sensors, and alarms were put in so they would not be caught short if another fire broke out. At least they learned from the last fire. Of course the big worry is for everything within the labs. All radioactive materials, and items of national security risk supposedly are safe, and sound. Governor Martinez has put all resources at the disposal of the fire fighters. Los Alamos cannot succumb to fire.

We have had a bit of moisture move in which will help (it certainly helped with the temperatures here). The only problem is that it will also bring in stronger winds, which is not a good thing. We shall pray for the best of all scenarios, early monsoons. We need rain, and we need it now, God willing it will come in time or the Los Alamos fire could easily triple in size.

I also worked the youngsters. I haven’t played with Ser-Haat for a while, and his halter needed changing. Do you think I could get close enough with a new halter to change it, of course not? He was back to where he was before jumping at everything. I worked him a bit, and gradually I got him to settle down and I got a larger halter on him. It is a bit shabby as it was Moraddinn’s so many years ago. I have it on the first hole so there is plenty of room for him to grow. I really need to sack him out big time, but I’m reluctant to change my working tactics with him. He’s such a special boy, but he really needs to get over his “scary” thing. He’s so loving, and trusting once he figures out he won’t get killed, and I don’t want to destroy that, but by the same token, I can’t sell him when he’s jumping out of his skin all the time.

Sierra on the other hand is so easy to handle. He let me pick up all his feet (I’ve only done it a few times, and never all four) with very little trouble. I brushed him, and walked him on the lead. He’s even getting better about the nibbles. I only had to correct him a couple of times, and even at that he was very good. He is going to make such a wonderful stallion. There are times when I just can’t wait for him to grow up, and then again times when I wish he would stay little like this forever. Now if I could only get him to stop rubbing out his mane. He’s such a little mensch.

No comments:

Post a Comment