Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Never a dull moment…


Well my last post was actually from around the 20th, or a bit later, I just didn’t have a chance to post it. Last week was spent at the hospital in El Paso with my husband. He got a nose bleed which wouldn’t have been anything big, except between the blood thinners, and the fact that he had food poisoning about five days before, his blood wouldn’t coagulate. It took two pints of Plasma, two pints of blood, IV’s, antibiotics, four days in the hospital, and five days of no blood thinners for his bleed time to go from 16.5 minutes to 8 minutes, which is normal. If you ever have a nosebleed don’t have food poisoning the week before, it seems that there is a bacteria in the intestinal track that aids in the coagulation of your blood. Who knew?

Now where did I leave off? Oh yeah, my water issues of course. Well the two floats I replaced are too low, but the horses can get water. I just have to fix them before winter’s freezes begin. For now they work. Neither re-build kit for the field water hydrant was the right manufacturer, so I got both kits hoping one of them would work. One did. All that had to be replaced was the rubber stopper at the end of the rod inside of the hydrant, so I paid 10 bucks for a stopper. I don’t care it’s fixed. Of course I kept forgetting to buy a small hose so I still have to put the new float on the pasture water.  I’ll have to remove them come winter because we still don’t have the electricity fixed to the barn. Running new power lines from the house to the box at the water main is going to be expensive so it will just have to wait a while. That means no heaters in the water. I’m actually hoping the newscasters are right, and it will be a warm dry winter. We need the snowmelt, but breaking ice is no fun.

I finally got new video of Stormy, and Star, and I finally got it uploaded today. It took a couple of days to edit the video, and then of course I had problems with the upload. That took two days to do all by itself. I won’t go into details (too embarrassing), but it’s up, and running. I know kids do it all the time with no problems at all, but I’m a little old white haired lady, that’s my excuse, and I’m not changing my story. Hey old age has to be good for something. I take advantage of my white hair whenever I can. So what if I started turning silver at the age of 24, no one has to know. Next I want to get a video of Little Big Man. My weanling video of him has over 2,000 hits. Impressive since I’m not all that good at making videos. He’s grown so much, but he’s as cute as ever. I’d like to get one of Jazzy, and Star (half siblings) together. Star reminds me so much of Jazzy, I even think she’s going to be a liver chestnut eventually just like Jazzy. Every year Jazzy gets darker. I’ve often thought of breeding her to Burgundy Sun of Phara Farms. He’s a black liver stallion, Crabbett bred, with absolutely exquisite movement, just the right stallion for Jazzy. Maybe one of these years, but not right now.

April has been working Jeri (yes she’s going to keep him), and Star. I want to get Star properly under saddle. Stormy is a little more unsure of this new person we have so she hasn’t worked him in the round pen as of yet. His day will come, and I really think he’s going to be easy once he gets worked on a regular basis. Don’t ask me what a regular basis is, I don’t know. You never know what the day will bring around here (as if you hadn’t guessed that already). Today was chilly, and rainy all day so April didn’t come over at all. Maybe tomorrow I will get to work with the horses. If April can help me with Little Big Man in the arena I may even get a video of him. That would be nice. I really want to show him off, he’s such a sweetheart. If I can get some interest in him before he’s ready to breed, I just might get some outside breedings when he’s old enough. One of these years this farm has to take off. Hopefully LBM will be the horse that will do it for us. You got to keep the faith, and I’m bound, and determined to make a go of this ranch. It’s just taking a bit longer than I hoped, ok a lot longer. At least I’m having fun getting there (most days). They say that it’s the journey that counts, but I’m ready for this journey’s end, and the beginning of a new journey called the ranch that supports itself. Um, that would be nice.

1 comment: