Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Busy, busy, busy…


The weather finally broke (thank you Lord). It was 66 when I went out to feed, and only got up to the high 80’s, still hot, but doable. Of course as soon as I got to the barn to feed in the morning it started to rain. Thankfully it quit by the time I finished, and we got no more rain. It’s not supposed to really start raining until Sunday so I still have tomorrow to ride. I got an advertisement for Aussie saddles, and come to find out mine is a Kimberly, and to of the line to boot. I also found out that I can get proper leathers, and stirrups. I’ve been using my English irons which I knew weren’t correct, but it’s all I’ve got. Now I know where I can get the proper ones. I can also get a saddle pad there. My saddle is really too big for me, but the horses especially Ibn love it.
 
After I fed the dogs, and inside animals I went down to the barn to ride. Ibn got first pick. He was a total idiot. I discovered in the process that my knees, and thighs have gotten considerably stronger. It was the only way I could keep my seat. Ibn has the smoothest canter of any horse I know, but not today. I described what he was doing to Rudy, and he told me he was cross firing.  He said he had done it to him before, and the best thing was to stop him, and start him up again. Well I did that numerous times, and he never corrected himself. Tomorrow I’m taking Ibn out for a very long trail ride. After the arena I took him out for what was supposed to be a relaxing ride around the property. He couldn’t even do that right. He’s getting ridden till he drops (not really) or until he at least starts behaving himself. This is ridicules. He knows perfectly well what he’s supposed to do he’s just being a little snit to see if he can get out of being worked. Well he’ll get worked tomorrow.
 
After riding Ibn I took Star out. We warmed up in the round pen, and then into the arena. That was a big step for her. On top of that I made her trot. I’m used to the tip toeing thing, but she didn’t tip toe. At first she trotted only about three steps, and then stopped. This was way different, and she just didn’t know what to do our how. She finally figured it out, and while we didn’t go the entire arena, we still went more than three steps. I was very proud of her, and she got three carrots.
 
Next Penny was up. I discovered that Penny has been very well trained. Whoever trained her knew what they were doing. I just have to slow her down, and teach her how to collect. She’s a mustang so she has a very straight neck, but she can still learn to collect.
 
After Penny I rode Star. She did so well I took her to the big arena. This was a big step for her, and she did great. She went all over the place thinking that she’s the boss not me, but that’s to be expected. We also trotted a little. The first time it was a bit shocking to her. It’s different when you have someone on your back after all. Still and all I was very proud of her.
 
This was just the beginning…
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment