Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Monday, July 22, 2013

The babies have flown the nest…



When I came back from feeding the horses I found the garage babies flying around the garage. This was the second clutch of babies for our flycatchers this year. They are insect eaters, and the parents were trying to call them out of the garage so they can take them down to the barn. There are a lot more insects there. One baby refused to leave the nest. It was probably the last egg to hatch, and I’m sure she’ll be gone by tomorrow. Hopefully some day we will have our own flock, and they’ll help keep the fly population down. With the monsoon moisture the flies have finally come out. Thankfully it’s been cool so we don’t seem to have as many. Also the tape I put up a couple of years ago really helps a lot. I need to buy another roll as last year’s roll is almost done. In Auberry we had tons of dragonflies plus the parasites we bought, which made a big difference. I see some dragonflies every year here, but not enough to do any good. I think we’re probably too high an elevation for them. At any rate I’ll take whatever help I can get.
 
Bear, I think has passed the last of the chicken bones. For the first time since the chicken incident he had his tail up, and he hasn’t been bloated all day. He started barking last evening so I went, and checked mother hen. She was in her hen house safe, and sound. I closed the door anyway. I know the foxes can’t get into the front of the hen house, but just in case… Thankfully she’s recovering her composure. She’s eating much better, and not wandering around whimpering in her little chicken way.
 
As for everyone else, I think they all liked the moves I made. Jeri carried on the first night, but since then he’s been fine. He just loves being in the barn, he can watch all the goings on. Once Marina let Espree, and Lizzie know she was the new boss she settled in. Then when I was unloading hay I noticed she was in front of Lizzie’s stall. That’s not where she’s supposed to be. She’s going into season, and she wanted to meet the new boy in town (LBM). I caught them touching noses. He’s just tall enough, and she’s short enough to give me a late baby. Well not too late, but I don’t want any babies from him yet. It doesn’t really matter since his stall has a stud chain on the gate. Now her gate sports a stud chain too. Sarashea taught her too well. This particular gate is a real pain to open. You have to lift it then pull the bar back. Not a problem for her, of course that evening I think she was a little peeved at me. I kept hearing the gate clanging. Hey she opened it once after all.
 
Jazzy has always loved being in pasture, she can get all her energies out, and ends up being a much calmer horse. Now if she can get rid of her gut, and put on some muscle that would be great. I have to get on a schedule!!! The only problem I foresee is now that there is grass growing (thank you Lord, but we still need a little more) they’re not up in the front of the pasture. I may have problems getting Star so I can ride her. Fresh grass is more important than coming when called after all. Sere has room to move around again, and since there’s no competition (she was in pasture before, and then there was Penny) she’s quite happy. Stormy being a boy helps a lot. Penny, and her were always fighting, but Stormy is like Ser-Haat, her son, sweet, and lovey. As for Penny, she seems quite content with Ser-Haat next to her. She’s not fighting with him while she’s waiting for her hay. I was afraid the stall wall (cement) was going to come crashing down with her, and Sere always fighting, and kicking. Ser-Haat doesn’t care who he’s next to. He wants to be friends with everyone much like Star, and Stormy. All in all I think things will be just fine with this new combination.
 
The Mercantile is out of Chafhay so I’m soaking Alfalfa pellets along with the beet pulp for Jeri. I’m hoping it will put some weight on him. I know seniors all have a hard time with weight, but without molars it’s nearly impossible to keep Jeri’s weight up. Still I keep trying.  I’m bound, and determined to find a combination of feeds that will put weight on him without making him high. Problem is most grains will do just that, and he won’t be able to digest them well either, because he can’t chew them properly. Maybe I need to increase his oil. I bought Smart Blend this time. It’s a combination of Olive, Canola, and Safflower oils, no corn. I don’t want to give him too much or he’ll get diarrhea. I’ll have to watch his stools carefully. I think I’ll try that before I spend more money on weight gainer, which I’ve never had much luck with. Of course I’ve only bought the weight gain they have at the Mercantile, and they only carry one brand. I checked the internet, and Smart-Pak has one they guarantee will work (or your money back) so maybe I’ll try that one if the added oil doesn’t help. I have to get more weight on him before winter. Even in the barn stall it still gets mighty cold up here, and without a layer of good fat, he’s sure to get sick from the cold. As a last resort I may have to buy a blanket. We stopped using blankets years ago because the horses always destroyed them. I don’t even know if he’s ever had a blanket on, probably not. In Central, and Southern CA you don’t really ever need blankets. After the first year we were here the horses started growing a thicker winter coat. It’s very seldom that they shiver. Of course if I know it’s going to be a very cold night I give them extra hay to keep them warm through the night. I usually try to mix some alfalfa with their grass when it’s really cold. They love it (of course, who doesn’t like candy), and it gives them an extra boost. That won’t work with Jeri because he can’t really chew the hay, and the little he does eat doesn’t really do him much good. Then too because he’s a stallion he burns a lot off.  At any rate I have a few months before cold weather sets in (please Lord). With my luck we’ll have an early cold snap, and poor Jeri will be shivering in his timbers. Too bad he doesn’t have Cushing’s, then he’d grow plenty of fur!


No comments:

Post a Comment