Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

No riding for a while…


 
Just when the weather gets nice (not too hot, not too cold) something has to happen to muck up the works. Ok something is always happening to muck up the works, but that’s beside the point. I never should have bragged about the new chickens. Wouldn’t you know it, Bear ripped open the chicken wire on the chicken house again. I don’t know what set him off this time (no skunk), but it could have been the squirrel that has been helping himself to the extras the chickens leave. At any rate I lost six chickens, three babies, and three hens. With the help of my father, I managed to save two babies that were staked out under the tree next to the run. That was fun. Here I am kneeling in the mud under a tree trying to convince two little hens I’m not going to kill them. It was not a pretty sight let me tell you. At any rate I got the hen house temporally fixed. That means I repaired the chicken wire put up new boards, and screwed a big board on the corner so he can’t get at the chicken wire to pull it out.
 
The only reason I say it might have been a squirrel that started the whole thing is that Rudy noticed one in the chicken run. The dogs have chased that particular squirrel many a time. On top of that there’s one in the barn that is driving the dogs crazy. The barn framing is metal, with regularly spaced holes. This makes it very convenient for the squirrel to escape from the dogs. For over two weeks as soon as we enter the barn I hear squeaks, and paws skidding on the cement. I tell them to leave it alone to no avail. Now while Bear isn’t too smart he is persistent. One day as I was leaving the barn I hear this terrible howl. I run into the barn, and sure enough Bear has his mouth hooked inside the hole. I said he wasn’t too smart. As soon as he saw me he gave one last yank, and pulled himself free. He was trying to tear the girder to get at the squirrel. Thankfully he only tore up his gums, and he hasn’t tried to pull the metal apart again. He does learn eventually. Also thankfully, the squirrel hasn’t been in the barn of late when I go in. Maybe he learned too, or maybe he just learned to time it for when he hears the gator. Of course I keep the barn pretty clean of goodies to steal. He did steal two of my measuring cups though, and he’s ever hopeful that I will forget to cover something (which I do often enough). If Bear saw a squirrel in the chicken run that’s all it would take. If he couldn’t get one squirrel another would do, and since the chickens are easier to catch they served the same purpose. Then once the chickens started fleeing out of the chicken house it was nothing for the other dogs to catch what they could, pack mentality you know.
 
I was ticked off all day, and I finally came up with a re-model plan. We have lots of tin roofing left by previous owners. I’ll put a tin border all around the bottom of the chicken house, and make a proper door to let them into the run. I have three 2 x 4’s from the roofing that blew off last year (shuffling barn) to make a frame around the tin. Bear can’t get through that. It won’t look godawful, and it will keep the chickens safe. I haven’t quite figured out how to do the door to the run yet, but I will. I want a pulley sort of lift I can attach to a string so I don’t have to go inside the house just to open, and close the door. That may have to wait a while since I can’t operate Rudy’s circular saw, and I need to cut a piece of plywood for the door. At any rate I may not post for a few days, as it will take a while to do the re-modeling. I swear if it’s not one thing it’s another, and just when I was getting into a routine.
Footnote:
 
When I came back from feeding the horses, and went to feed the chickens, lo, and behold one of the babies found her way home. I only found evidence of three dead chickens, the rest I assumed were lost somewhere, and soon enough would be coyote bait. Well one of the babies actually made it home. Trying to catch her was another trip. Pena came over, and when I told her to go she walked off a bit, and waited. Actually her being there helped me to catch the chick. Once I caught her I called Pena over, made her lie down, and put the chick on top of her. By then Bree came over to see what all the fuss was about, and basically ignored us. Pena was very good, and got lots of praises. The boys never even came over. This got me to thinking maybe I was too quick to condemn the dogs especially Bear. There are lots of critters besides skunks around here that would be more than happy to raid my chicken house. That’s why we have large dogs in the first place. Bear doesn’t let anything get on his property unless I say it’s ok (like for people). Some critter could have gotten in the chicken house again, and Bear being Bear would do everything he could to get it out of the chicken house. Besides it just doesn’t make sense him suddenly tearing apart the chicken house for no reason. When the chickens have gotten out before both he, and Taggot ignore them. Bree has always been the one to go after the chickens. Of course once they are dead none of the dogs have a problem eating them, but they eat any carrion. Where they find it I have no clue, but they do. The upshot of all this is I still have to make the chicken house critter proof even if I don’t totally believe Bear suddenly got it into his head to have some chicken for a midnight snack. Actually something else getting into the house makes a lot more sense. We’ll see how far I get tomorrow with my re-model.

No comments:

Post a Comment