Life on an Arabian breeding farm in Capitan, NM.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Why is it…


 
Why is it that no matter what time I go to the barn, if it’s going to rain it starts as soon as I get to the barn? It was a wet morning yesterday morning, but that’s ok. We’re finally getting into our monsoon flow. The rains we’ve had thus far have come down from the north. They say it’s going to be dry till about Monday or Tuesday, but that’s what they said yesterday too, and it rained anyway.
 
I was able to ride Ibn day before yesterday, and Penny yesterday. It really makes me angry that I can’t ride all day anymore. I took Ibn for another trail ride, and found that meadow I couldn’t remember how to get to. Then I followed the fence line, and tried to crest the ridge. Ibn was just going wherever I pointed him, and I’m thinking, but how are we going to get down??? He is such a great trail horse, with never a misstep, traipsing up the ridge as if it were no more than a grass filled meadow. About ¾’s of the way up I couldn’t see a way through the brush (scrub oak, and pinion) so we started down. On the way down I discovered trees with markers on them. I followed them the rest of the way down the ridge. Someone has marked a trail up the ridge, that’s not to say it was a smooth trail, just passable. I’m going to try again, and follow the marked trees to see if I can top the ridge. I want to see what’s on the other side. People are putting up more, and more fence lines making my rides shorter, and shorter. This could lead to more riding area for me if I’m lucky. I’ll also see if I can get a picture of the ridge we’re climbing to show how rugged it really is. I wasn’t too sore when we got done so maybe I can ride longer than I think. Ibn doesn’t rein well keeping my arm in a position it doesn’t like. I get piercing pain from my chin down my neck, shoulder, and arm. I can relieve the pressure if I let my arm hang down holding both reins in one hand, but most of the time I have the reins in both hands. We’ll see. There’s also a new chiropractor in Capitan, and when we catch up a little I want to see if she can help me. It would be nice.
 
 
I rode Penny on the trail for the first time. She tried the moving bit when I went to mount her so I worked her in the round pen until she stood still. It took three tries of hard cantering before she figured out it was a lot easier to let me mount her. The honeymoon is over, and she is seeing just what she can get away with. Unfortunately it doesn’t work, she can’t get away with being a brat. I calmed her down in the arena, and then took her around the property (41 acres all together). Once I was confident that she could handle the trail without much fuss I took her off property to the state land next door. We were on the rode, and all of a sudden she did a 180, which I turned into a 360. The rains left one little puddle that reflected the clouds, and sky. I tell you when she wants to she can turn on a dime (reining possibility?). I couldn’t have asked for anything better on her first time out. Needless to say we got beyond the puddle (after numerous tries, and sniffing’s), and on the way back she was still suspicious about it, but didn’t give me too much trouble. Of course we were almost home by that time, and getting home was far more important than any old puddle. All in all she did very well. We spooked a rabbit, and she didn’t even break stride. Another time I caught movement of deer, and she didn’t even take notice. Ibn stops every blessed time. He doesn’t do anything he just stops for a minute, and then goes on. She also kept a nice even trot. She even collected on her own most of the time. I set my reins, and she would lightly bump up then bring her head down. I’m sorry she’s a long waisted mustang. I’m used to nice short backed Arabians with a very smooth gait. Her trot isn’t as bad as a Q/H, but it’s close.
 
All in all I was very proud of her. It was a short ride (I don’t want to sour her), but it told me a lot. She’ll make a good trail horse, which is what April really wants. We’ll do more trail rides, and then when I think April is ready I’ll let her take her out. By then maybe I’ll have Star ready to do trails as well, and we can go out together.
 
Tomorrow I’ll try to ride Ibn, and Star. I have to get beyond one horse a day. Of course today I was going to work some horses, but when I finished with Penny, it was thundering, and lightning. Best not to work a horse just in case all you know what cuts loose. I’m not stupid after all. It was 3:00 by then anyway, time enough to quit, and rest before I had to feed. Just now it’s time to put this child to rest. There’s time enough tomorrow, and the next, and the next…
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment